April 24, 2017

April 25. 1:00 PM MTSS Lindemann Team Mtg. 6:00 PM Superintendent’s Honors Dinner

April 26.  7:00 PM.  5th Grade Band Concert. Center for the Arts.

April 27. 5:00 PM. 5th Grade Basketball Game

May 1 – 5.  STAFF APPRECIATION WEEK:)

May 4. Lindemann PTA Mtg. 6:30 PM.  Art Room.

May 8. 6:30 PM. Kindergarten Roundup.  7:00 PM. Board of Education Mtg.

May 16. Lindemann 4th/5th Grade Spring Concert.

May 19. Lindemann Carnival 6:30 – 8:30 PM

May 24. 7:00 PM.  PTA/PTSA Council.  Lindemann Elementary

May 29.  Memorial Day.  No School

Final Walk Through

I will be coming around starting next week for the final round of walk throughs.  I’ll look at your schedules for things I want to see- final step will come after you have given the nwea and we have that data to sit down and sign everything.

Announcing our Popular
Back-to-School Grant Round – with a New Twist!

In recognition of the Meemic Foundation’s 25th anniversary, we are celebrating by funding our largest grant* round ever – $200,000 will be available to fund back-to-school needs for more than 1,000 classrooms and schools.
And the exciting new twist? Foundation Club members that are currently employed at an educational institution can apply for funding for their classroom (with a $100 grant) and for their school (with a $1,000 grant). Our$100 classroom back-to-school grant helps fund classroom supply needs. With our $1,000 school grant, any Foundation Club member can nominate their current school, their child’s school, a former school they attended or a local school in need for the opportunity for back-to-school supply needs for the entire school! The grant funding must be used exclusively through our Office Depot® grant fulfilment website.
What You Need to Know

• Application process for both grants is quick
    and easy
  • Applications are due by May 31, 2017
  • All winners will be announced by July 7, 2017
  • The grant must be used at Office Depot, Inc.
    by October 31, 2017
  • You must be a Foundation Club Member to apply

Apply for either (or both!) grants today. For more details, go to: PinoInsurance.com/BackToSchool

Not a Foundation Club member?
Register at PinoInsurance.com/Register
A Little About The Meemic Foundation
Since 1992, The Meemic Foundation, a nonprofit organization, has been supporting education excellence through funding programs and other partnership initiatives.
Pino Insurance Agency

Rochester:
128 E. 4th St.
248.608.0567

PinoInsurance.com

5th GRADE PARENTS

Mark Your Calendar!

MORE 5th GRADE

CAMP PHOTOS!!!

We have uploaded even more photos for our parents to view and download.

Please click on the link to check out these new additions.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/azpirn2zmqyjzfn/IMG_1130%5B1%5D.JPG?dl=0

Grade Level Scheduling for next year

You have all now gone through one year with your schedule and hopefully worked out the bugs.  The goals for your schedule should be:

• Common Language arts block (to accommodate tier work, practices like guided reading could be staggered- or at the same time depending how you view it)

• Common Math Time

• Common time for science/SS would help planning for the rest

• Within your common times, please review your current practices so that we can maximize instructional time.

• Review your morning arrival work- valuable on-task time is there for the taking.  We do not have preps until 9:30- What a great time to plan some grade level interventions!

• Please review the non-negotiables that were agreed to by the grade levels.  I should be able to see these practices going on in your room. In addition, the Workshop model has been implemented and will be part of the walkthrough evaluation next year, please reflect that in your planning.  Please let me know what materials and/or training I can provide to get us in the right direction.  Please highlight these items and their times in your schedules- that I would like to have to me by Thursday, June 15 in whatever format look you wish.  These will be shared with our new principal.

• If your grade needs additional time, please see me for some options, please remember the preps are common so as to offer time to meet among the grade- that can be an option

• Working with George, Mike Cip, Erica and Tina  should offer insight to build your schedule around instructional time, not when a student is pulled out.

Please understand that this starts to allow us to implement various degrees of tiered intervention in the classroom, grade level, and building.  Please let me know if you have any suggestions as we move forward.  I will have info on classroom placement for students very soon.  I understand that there may unforeseen obstacles that come into scheduling in the process, try and get as close as you can to the above.

K-5 non negotiables

Grade 2

ALLEN PARK HIGH SCHOOL
STATE CHAMPIONS

VARSITY COMPETITIVE CHEER TEAM!

Planbook

Planbook is an online platform where you can do your lesson planning and share back and forth with your peers.  Please see more info below and the video.  If you are interested, I would be happy to pay for a subscription for next school year.

10 REASONS TO LOVE PLANBOOK.COM

07 August 2014

A little over a year ago, I tried something new…online lesson planning. Like most of you, I was used to writing down plans in a spiral bound lesson plan book. While that method is obviously time-tested, I’ve found that online planning offers some pretty impressive benefits when compared with the old standby. In fact, all three members of the Teaching Trio are loyal Planbook.com users!

Here are a few of my favorite things about Planbook…

1. Color code classes any way you want. Just because you skip the paper planner doesn’t mean your plans can’t be cute! Mine is a rainbow!

2. Attach files and web links for easy access. This is especially helpful now that our school doesn’t allow USB drives or Dropbox! I attach everything I am using to my plans, even if I already have copies or I know it’s on my school computer because…

3. View & copy last year’s plans. Talk about a time saver! Obviously, I’m not copying an entire year over (although it’s possible), but I do sometimes copy one unit that went really well. I love that I can use it to find attachments easier than hunting through all of my various drives too!

4. Templates save precious planning time. Enter all of those things you do over and over once, and never do it again! See my enrichment schedule at the bottom of the screenshot for an example.

5. Bump or Extend a lesson with 1 click. Planbook bumps all of your lessons forward or backward automatically when you do this. There’s even an option to lock a lesson so that it doesn’t get affected by a bump (for an assembly, etc.)

6. Share plans with teammates – My plans are shared with our SPED department so that they can easily see what’s going on in my class, and we can plan together. Nikki and I were teammates the past few years, and we would often share our plans with each other. They are easy to import in when one of us had planned a special unit.

7. Create and send substitute plans easily – I added a lesson plan tab called “Sub Notes” where I type in all of the little things that a sub needs to know (how to turn on the morning news show, when students leave the room for support services, etc.). These things are now ready to go anytime I need a sub, and I don’t have to re-type them over and over or copy and paste. I simply log in to Planbook (usually from bed, if I’m sick enough not to go in), “fluff out” my normal plans so they will make sense to the sub, and send the link to one of my teammates. The sub then has access to any printables, presentations, videos, or web links that s/he will need that day. Couldn’t be easier!

8. Common Core Standards already loaded. If you don’t use Common Core (we don’t), they will add them for you. Juliet had our standards added in a snap.

9. Easy to follow tutorials for everything you could ever want to do!

10. Awesome customer service! They are constantly improving based on our feedback. This summer, they launched an iPhone app (iPad app was already available) and made several other changes based on teacher requests.

Now for the nitty-gritty. Planbook is not free, but it’s cheap. $12 a year is less than most planners out there, for a lot more features. It’s 100% worth it in my opinion. If you aren’t sold yet, there’s a 30-day free trial, no credit card required.

FYI – I am not recieving any compensation for this post, I just happen to love Planbook!

Orange County Democratic Women / Public Domain Photo; Glenn Geher at rally in Goshen, NY
Source: Orange County Democratic Women / Public Domain Photo; Glenn Geher at rally in Goshen, NY

Recently, I was asked to speak at an event focusing on the future of our nation. While there are clearly many approaches one might take to developing such a speech, my approach followed from my long-standing career as an educator. To my mind, more so than any other members of society, educators (of all kinds) are those among us who hold the responsibility of cultivating the next generation of citizens and leaders.

So if you are worried about the future of our nation, I suggest that you take a step back and think about the young people in your world. Because they are the future leaders of this world. And I suggest that you think about the many teachers that they will have during their decades-long education because these are the folks who will shape the approach of these young people to nearly everything.

I have been teaching college students since 1994 – and let me start by saying that I have very high expectations for my students. Sure, I want them to learn the content of whatever I’m teaching and write great papers and all that – but as someone who sees teaching as largely about shaping the next generation, my take on teaching always goes well beyond the classroom. In my work as a teacher, ultimately, I charge my students with the following:

I tell them that they are the future leaders of this world. And it is up to them to leave this world a better place because of their having been in it. If you are a student of mine, I tell you that your job here is ultimately to leave a positive mark – and I never let my students forget that.

Attributes of Great Leaders

So what kinds of attributes does one need to leave a positive mark on this world? What are the attributes of a great citizen and a great leader? If you want to be a great leader, then what qualities do you need to develop?

Here is a short list:

• You need to work hard – because there is no substitute for that.
  • You need to be honest and transparent – because people need to be able to trust you.
  • You need to be principled, having a strong set of guidelines that shape your actions – because people need to know where you stand.
  • You should treat others with respect – because, at the end of the day, we are all in this together.
  • You need to work well with others, in spite of differences – because people come in all shapes and sizes – and our leaders need to understand this fact.
  • You need to be selfless – putting the needs of others before your own needs – because we don’t really need selfish leaders right now.
  • You need to develop an approach to life where you are ultimately working for the greater good – just because …

To my mind, these are the attributes that we must require of our leaders. And we must not settle for anything less. And it is largely up to the teachers in our world to help cultivate these qualities in the next generation – for the good of us all.

Bottom Line

The future of our nation is less clear now than at any point that I can remember. As someone who focuses on practical solutions to problems, I’m not very interested in looking back – rather, I’m interested in how we, as a nation, are going to get back on track. I am looking forward. I’m interested in how we are going to come together as a people successfully in the future.

Toward this end, I say we look to our educators. Educators in the United States comprise a foundational resource for the future of our nation. If you are an educator, I say that you should always keep in mind how influential your work is in shaping the future of this world. And if you are a bright young person looking for a way to make a positive mark, let me tell you this: In the teaching professions, the potential to leave a positive mark on this world is enormous. You really can’t do much better than the field of education when it comes to having a significant impact on the future.

Concerned about the state of the world and interested in how you might be able to help build a brighter future? I say you do whatever you can to support education – the educators among us are those who are most directly building that future.

To all the teachers out there, I say this: Thanks so much for all of your selfless effort on behalf of both our children as well as the greater good. The world needs you right now more than ever.

************

Happy spring holiday season to all the readers of Darwin’s Subterranean World! Here is to a bright future for all of us!

Acknowledgment: Many thanks to the Orange County Democratic Women for inspiring this post by asking me to speak at their event this weekend – the civic action shown by this group is simply exemplary.

Image result for school of choice

APPS LIMITED SCHOOLS OF CHOICE PROGRAM for 2017-18

The Allen Park Public School District has established a successful Schools of Choice Program for the past several years and the Board of Education has approved continuation of the program for the 2017-18 school year for Kindergarten through 8th Grade.  (Requests for specific elementary schools cannot be guaranteed)

Applications are available beginning Monday, April 10 at the Riley Education Center, 9601 Vine.  Completed applications will be accepted beginningTuesday, May 2 through Monday, May 22, 2017 from 7:30 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. weekdays in the Pupil Accounting Office at the Riley Education Center.  Completed applications must be presented in person to ensure that all information is complete.  A random draw selection will be held on June 1 at 9:00 a.m. at the Riley Education Center.  The draw will determine numerical selection for acceptance of candidates.

We ask that you help us by sharing this information with friends and/or family members who may be interested in having their children become a part of the Allen Park Public Schools Family.

For more information about the Schools of Choice Program, please see the attached FAQ’s, visit our website at apps.k12.mi.us or call (313) 827-2105.

Image result for preschool info

PRESCHOOL INFORMATION

If you have a child who will be 3 years old by September 1st, 2017 or a 4 year old child, consider enrolling them in our Preschool Program.  Please come with your child to our Preschool Open House on Thursday, April 20th, 2017 anytime between 6:00 PM – 7:30 PM at Lindemann Elementary, 9201 Carter.  You will be able to meet our teachers, experience our classroom centers, discover theme-based teaching, and make new friends.

Registration will begin for in-district residents on Friday, April 21st, 2017 at 7:30 AM at the Riley Education Center, 14700 Moore. Out-of-district residents may begin registering Friday, April 28th, 2017 at 7:30 AM.

Our office hours for registrations are 7:30 AM – 3:45 PM, Monday through Friday.

NO REGISTRATION WILL TAKE PLACE DURING OPEN HOUSE 

For further information, contact Kristy Caleca in the Preschool Office at 313-827-2662 or caleca@appublicschools.com

Image result for kindergarten roundup

MARK YOUR CALENDAR – KINDERGARTEN ROUND UP

MONDAY, MAY 8, 2017 – 6:30 p.m.

at Arno, Bennie and Lindemann Elementary 

*Children who are five years of age by September 2 thru December 1 may only be enrolled for kindergarten at the request of the parent/guardian through a signed waiver process.  Waiver form is available at the Riley Education Center.

Kindergarten Information & Registration

Young Fives Information

Image result for teacher appreciation inspiration